Frequently Asked Questions
You can find the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions below.
- What is covered under the policy?
- Accidental Damage– We will pay the costs of repairing your electronic equipment as a result of accidental damage. If we are unable to economically repair your electronic equipment then, at our discretion, a replacement item will be provided by us.
Theft– (Covered on Silver and Gold Policies Only). We will replace your electronic equipment with a replacement item if it is stolen. Where only part or parts of your electronic equipment have been stolen, we will only replace that part or parts.
Breakdown– If a breakdown of your electronic equipment occurs outside of the manufacturer’s guarantee or warranty period we will pay the repair costs. If we are unable to economically repair your electronic equipment then, at our discretion, a replacement Item will be provided by us.
Malicious Damage– Where your item of electronic equipment is damaged through the intentional or deliberate actions of another party we will repair or replace it. Where only part or parts of your electronic equipment have been damaged, we will only replace that part or parts.
Unauthorised Usage– (Covered on Silver and Gold Policies Only). Where your item of electronic equipment is a device where you are charged for unauthorised calls, texts or data use and it is lost or stolen, we will refund the cost of any calls, texts or data used after the time it was lost or stolen to the time it was blacklisted by your airtime provider. This is subject to you providing an itemised bill. The maximum we will pay for any one occurrence is £100.
Accidental Loss– (Covered on Gold Policies Only) Is included within the policy where the appropriate level of cover has been selected. If you lose your electronic equipment we will replace it with a replacement item.
Liquid Damage– We will repair or provide a replacement Item for your electronic equipment if it is damaged as a result of accidentally coming into contact with any liquid.
Please read the policy wording for further details.
- How can I cancel my insurance?
- To cancel your policy please contact the administrator and return your insurance documents; Rock insurance, 135 Griffin House, Crawley High Street, Crawley, RH10 1DQ or email us at Admin@gadgetbuddy.com. For more details take a look at our Existing Customers page.
- What items does gadgetbuddy.com insurance cover?
- We offer insurance for iPhone, Smartphone, iPads, Tablets, Laptops, Games Consoles, Digital Cameras, Drones, E-Readers, Headphones, MP3/iPods, Video Cameras, Satellite Navigation Devices, Smartwatches and Virtual reality headsets.
- Does my home insurance policy cover my gadgets?
- If your home insurance policy includes ‘Personal Belongings insurance away from the home’ or ‘All Risks Cover’ you should check whether it covers them. Normally items under ‘Personal Belongings’ or ‘All Risks Cover’ will only be covered for theft or accidental damage but not for breakdown. Plus the excess on a home insurance policy is often higher than the excess on your gadgetbuddy.com insurance.
- How do I find out my IMEI number?
- The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identification) number of your mobile phone or smart phone handset is a unique identification code that is specific to your handset alone. It can be obtained by dialling *#06# or by checking under the battery of your handset.
- How soon will I receive my policy documents after purchasing a policy with you?
- Your policy is sent to you via the email address you provide us. Please note that some internet providers filter out automated e-mails as SPAM so please check your SPAM/junk folder if the e-mail has not been received. If you haven’t received it please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 091 2832 to send it again. Alternatively for a small postage charge, your documents can be delivered by post.
- What should I do if I replace my insured item or my details change?
- You should contact us so that we can update your policy. Please contact one of our friendly members of staff on 0800 091 2832, or by post at Rock insurance, 135 Griffin House, Crawley High Street, Crawley, RH10 1DQ.
- What is the period of my insurance?
- Your policy will be on either an annual basis or a monthly rolling basis as explained and confirmed in your insurance schedule.
- When does my cover commence?
- There is an initial 14 day period during which, if your gadget is stolen, lost, damaged or breaks down, you will not be able to claim and this is called the ‘exclusion period’.
- What do I do if my gadget was provided free as part of a contract, e.g. my mobile phone?
- If your gadget was provided to you as part of a contract, and you part paid or the cost of the gadget was free to you, you will be required to provide evidence of the original order and/or contract under which the gadget was supplied and the current retail price of the gadget from an internet or high street retailer.
- How many gadgets can I cover?
- There is no limit on the number of gadgets you can insure as long as the appropriate premium is paid.
- I cannot find the answer to my question.
- Please contact us on Admin@gadgetbuddy.com
- Who is the policy underwritten by?
- The insurance policy is arranged by gadgetbuddy.com, a trading name of Rock Insurance Services Limited and underwritten by UK General Insurance Limited. The Administrator is Rock insurance and all parties are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Who do I need to tell about a claim, and how quickly?
- For Theft, Accidental Loss (if covered) and Malicious Damage Claims
Notify the appropriate local Police authority within 24 hours of discovering the incident and obtain a Crime reference/Lost Property number and a copy of the Police Crime report (where a report has been compiled). Should you be claiming for the theft or accidental loss of your telephone you must also contact your network provider within 24 hours of discovering the incident to place a call bar on the handset.
For all Claims (including Theft, Accidental Loss, and Malicious Damage)
You need to contact Trent-Services on 01285 626020 (local call rate) immediately after of discovering the incident (or in the event of an incident occurring outside of the United Kingdom, the Channels Islands or the Isle of Man, immediately after of returning to the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man).
- What happens if I make a valid claim and my gadget needs to be replaced?
- We will endeavour to replace it with an identical fully refurbished (or new where a refurbished item is not available) gadget of the same age and condition. However, in the unlikely event this is not possible the administrator will provide you with a fully refurbished (or new where a refurbished item is not available) gadget of a comparable specification or the equivalent value taking into consideration the age and condition of the gadget prior to your claim.
- Can I make a claim straight away?
- No, there is an initial 14 day period during which, if your gadget is stolen, lost, damaged or breaks down, you will not be able to claim and this is called the ‘exclusion period’. The exclusion period is:
- 14 days after the start date of your policy
- 14 days after any change to your policy in which you add a gadget to your policy or replace a current insured gadget-the exclusion period applies to the gadget you addPlease note that if you have an annual policy the exclusion period will only apply when you first take out the policy. If you renew your annual policy in 12 months’ time, the exclusion period will not re-apply at renewal
- Do I need to supply a receipt if I make a claim?
- In the event of a claim you will need to provide the original receipt for the purchase of your gadget for which you are claiming. The receipt must be in your name. If you do not possess or were never issued with a receipt for your gadget (as they were provided free as part of a contract, e.g. mobile phone), you will need to provide evidence of the original order and/or contract under which the gadget was supplied.
- Is there an excess on the policy?
- Yes, there is an excess applicable to each and every successful claim (this is the amount you contribute towards the claim) and which must be paid before your claim can be approved. Details of the excesses applicable can be found in your policy wording.
- How many claims can I make within the year?
- There is no maximum number of replacements within a claims year, however there are certain restrictions that apply so please ensure you read the policy wording, paying special attention to the ‘What is not Covered’ section.
- If I make a claim and get a replacement phone, is that phone then covered for the rest of the period of insurance?
- Yes, it is automatically covered though there may be an additional premium incurred as a result if the value of the gadget is amended.
- With a claim do I get a refurbished or brand new gadget?
- We will endeavour to replace your gadget with an identical new or fully refurbished gadget of the same age and condition, but not necessarily the same colour. However, in the unlikely event that this is not possible we will provide you with a new or fully refurbished gadget of a comparable specification or the equivalent value taking into consideration the age and condition of the gadget prior to your claim.
- How long will it take for my claim to be processed?
- If your claim is due to Theft or Loss please allow 3 working days, from the date we receive claim form, for your insurance claim to be processed. If your claim is due to Accidental Damage, Mechanical Breakdown cover please allow 5 to 7 working days for your insurance claim to be processed, from the date we receive your claim form. These timelines are subject to receipt of the full information required to assess your claim.
- Do I have to complete a claim form?
- A claim form will be issued for all claims this will be emailed or posted to you depending on your preference.
- Is there an age restriction on the item I can insure?
- The item must be less than 18 months old from the date it was purchased as new.
- Am I covered if I bought my electronic item from an auction site?
- Unfortunately your gadget is not covered if it was purchased second hand or from an on-line auction (e.g. Ebay). Your gadget is also not covered if it was bought outside of the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
- I got a replacement phone from Apple (as it’s under warranty) can I get it insured?
- Yes, providing it is under 12 months old then you need to advise us the new handset details and we will change it over. You will need a relevant proof of purchase in the event of a claim, the replacement paperwork will suffice providing it has the new IMEI number on it as well as enough other identifying information.
- If I purchased my gadget abroad can I have cover?
- No, the gadget has to be bought in the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
- Who can use my gadget?
- You or your immediate family. Immediate family being defined as your husband, wife, civil partner, partner, children or parents, who permanently reside with you.
- Can I insure my handset if I live outside the UK?
- No, this policy is for UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man residents only
- How can I pay for my policy?
- You can pay online using our secure system where all data is encrypted. We hold your details according to the Data Protection Act 1998. If you do not feel comfortable online then you can call one of our friendly staff in our UK call centre on 0800 091 2832 and they will help you with your policy.
- Is it possible to change the date that my Direct Debit payment comes out of my bank account?
- We aim to take Direct Debit payments on either the 8th or the 20th of each month. When you purchase a policy you will receive an email confirming which day your payment will be taken and the future payment schedule. You can then swap to either one of these two dates but you cannot choose any other dates.